Having recently announced the Table of Contents for LONG DISTANCE DRUNKS: A TRIBUTE TO CHARLES BUKOWSKI, scheduled to be released this Spring, we are now opening for a new anthology to continue the series. Ladies and gentlemen, we present you with STAY COOL: A TRIBUTE TO ELMORE LEONARD.
It’s safe to say that we were all deeply impacted by the passing of Elmore Leonard in August. He taught us so much about writing. He excelled at dialogue and his characters never failed to come alive on the page. No one did crime fiction like Mr. Leonard. He was simply the best of the best. We are looking for short stories that do his work justice. Stories that are written in the same spirit and tone. We want cool, eccentric plots and characters running wild. Let us relive Elmore Leonard through our own words.
Also, when writing your submission, please take Leonard’s 10 Rules for Writing into consideration:
- Never open a book with weather.
- Avoid prologues.
- Never use a verb other than “said” to carry dialogue.
- Never use an adverb to modify the verb “said”…he admonished gravely.
- Keep your exclamation points under control. You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose.
- Never use the words “suddenly” or “all hell broke loose.”
- Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
- Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
- Don’t go into great detail describing places and things.
- Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.
My most important rule is one that sums up the 10.
If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.
Deadline: September 30, 2014
Target release date: Spring 2015
Submissions are only to be considered through Submittable. We will try to respond to each story as fast as we can. If we really like your story, we will email you and ask to hold on to it exclusively until the deadline. Please include a bio in your cover letter. Word count should be no less than 1000 words and no more than 10,000 words. Reprints, multiple submissions, and simultaneous submissions are fine. Just please let us know if your story is a reprint in the cover letter and where it was originally published.
Payment will be 50% of the royalties split equally among all authors done on a quarterly basis, as well as one contributor’s copy.
Any other questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.