We are currently open for submissions to our quarterly horror magazine, Dark Moon Digest, and our newsletter, which publishes original flash fiction once a month. If you have a novel or novella you’re dying for us to read, please do not submit it under any of the below categories. Send us a query at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us a little bit about it. If we decide we want to read it, we’ll let you know.
DARK MOON DIGEST
Dark Moon Digest comes out every quarter. It features short stories, flash fiction, reviews, and columns. We are currently open for short stories. Obviously, if you want to really get to know what we want to publish, we recommend purchasing a previous issue, but here’s a quick breakdown of what we want to see:
- Work written by authors typically unrepresented in publishing, such as women, people of color, LGBTQ, and those from non-Western cultures.
- Fiction reminiscent of The Twilight Zone, Black Mirror, Tales from the Crypt, and Tales from the Darkside. We want stories with complex characters and ideas spun in ways nobody’s ever conceived. Make our brains hurt. Make our hearts explode with love and terror. Make us fear.
Stories we’ve seen far too many times (we’ll keep this updated):
- a family moves into a haunted house
- a person is bitten by a mysterious something and is terrorized by the grotesque infection
- someone gets revenge on a bully (usually in school or a work environment)
- someone kills someone, but then the murder victim comes back to life for REVENGE
- a long stretch of words detailing something violent and graphic without an actual plot
- a serial killer murders someone
- a husband abuses his wife and the wife snaps and kills the husband
- a creep molests a child and then the creep is murdered
- haunted GPSs (stop sending us these)
- anything involving zombies
Twist endings are perfectly acceptable, but try to avoid the ones I discuss in this article: https://litreactor.com/columns/6-twist-endings-every-writer-loves-that-are-bullshit
There is no deadline for submissions. We do not accept submissions through email or post. We only accept submissions through our Submittable account. Please make sure your story is completely finalized before submitting. Do not submit and immediately withdraw to fix a typo. We won’t reject you because of a typo, but we will think ugly thoughts about you if you submit and withdraw the same file multiple times in a row.
Payment: $0.01 per word*
Word count: 1.5k—7k
Multiple submissions: No
Simultaneous submissions: Yes
*A note about payment. We understand $0.01 is barely anything, and we do apologize for not offering better rates. We are looking to increase our pay in the future. If we reach our Patreon stretch goal of $1000, we will up our pay to $0.02 per word. At $2000, we’ll go to $0.03 per word, and so on. We encourage you to spread the word about our Patreon, but please do not pledge thinking it’ll have any impact on whether or not we accept your work. We don’t bother looking at author names until we’ve decided we want to publish it. Click here to check out our Patreon.
Perpetual Motion Machine is currently looking for flash fiction to publish both in our newsletter and Dark Moon Digest. Accepted stories will also be recorded on the WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? podcast. We are interested in dark fiction in the horror, science fiction, crime, and noir genres.
We are not interested in reprints. All submissions must not exceed 1,500 words. Payment will be $25 per accepted piece.
Subscribe to our newsletter HERE if you’re interested in reading the type of material we publish.